concerned individuals came together in France in 1993 and created the EuroDéfense Association in March 1994, to:
- "Promote, to public opinion, a European security and defence identity"
- "Make a concrete contribution to develop a European defence spirit aiming at helping the establishment and reinforcement of links with fellow associations in each WEU country
In 2001, the international EURODEFENSE network was created, consisting of the national associations and governed by a charter to which all existing national associations, and those seeking to join, subscribe. All associations share the same conviction: the importance of a strong common defence, summarised as "There can be no defence without Europe and no Europe without defence."
They - together - share a specific goal:
"To continue to search for a unified and efficient European defence."
The international network of EURODEFENSE
In EURODEFENSE's opinion, European cooperation is the only effective way in which Europe can be a significant strategic player in years to come. No European country alone will be able to maintain its current role and influence without further cooperation with others.
EURODEFENSE promotes and to recognises :
- The broad community of interest of members of the Union in the fields of security and defense to acquire a capacity for rapid and effective decision making and action;
- The magnitude of the challenges of European defense and security, which confirm the need to maintain, today as yesterday, a strategic alliance with the United States;
- In an environment of increased international competition, that close cooperation within European defence industries is vital to create a common technological and industrial base;
- Strengthening the strategic position of Europe requires the combination and unity of all the economic, industrial and technological resources of its members
The international network of EURODEFENSE associations carry out its work through:
- National Presidents’ Council meetings twice a year;
- EURODEFENSE annual international meeting organised in turn by each association;
- European Working Groups (EWG) authorised by the NPC
These events produce joint resolutions, summaries and position papers which are made available to decision makers and the public.
Since 2003, EuroDéfense-France has provided the Secretariat for the international network.
The EURODEFENSE network: is led by a Council managed by a rotating presidency ; that Council is made up of all the EuroDéfense Associations Presidents and supported by a Secretariat General.
The Presidency is entrusted in turn, each year from 1st January to the 31st December, to the President of the national association which hosts and arranges the annual “International Conference EURODEFENSE”(ICE)
Each year, the Council draws up the common working program of the associations and sets the list of the topics to be worked out in priority.
The Council meets at least twice a year.
The Secretariat General of the network is assigned by the Council, for four years, to one of the national associations which nominates the Secretary general among its members.